30ᵗʰ Annual Bobby Wiggins Festival of Spirituals
Sat, Feb 29 –
Come join us as we close out Black History Month with our annual Festival of Spirituals, renamed in honor of our late and much-missed founder and long-time artistic director, Mæstro Bobby Wiggins.
— Participating Choirs —
- Grambling State University Concert Choir under the direction of Natorshau Davis — they get better every year!
- Southern University and A&M College — Baton Rouge Concert Choir under the direction of Prof. Charles Lloyd, Jr.
- Heritage of Baton Rouge (which holds a similar Festival of Spirituals there on the first weekend of Black History Month each year, in which we participate), under the direction of Clarence Jones
- Philander Smith Collegiate Choir under the direction of Dr. Stephen Hayes, who formerly directed the Acappella Choir of Wiley College which has performed at past Bobby Wiggins Festivals. We can’t wait to see what he’s done with this new choir of his!
- Texas Southern University Choir under the direction of Dr. Kiana Williams
- Festival Choir — consisting of singers from these local High School choirs jointly directed by Caddo Magnet High’s own Jennifer Jackson:
(This list may be updated. Watch this space!)
Supported by a grant from the Louisiana Division of the Arts, Louisiana Office of Cultural Development, Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism, in cooperation with the Louisiana State Arts Council (LSAC) and administered by the Shreveport Regional Arts Council (SRAC).
Funding has also been provided by the National Endowment for the Arts, Art Works; The Black Cultural Arts Coalition of Shreveport; the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival and Foundation, Inc.; and Eldorado Resort Casino Shreveport.
We are deeply grateful for their support.